06 June 2005

Mac OS x86 Leopard

I can't really let this day go by without saying something about the stunning change announced at Apple's World Wide Developer Conference today. I just watched the keynote presented by Steve Jobs and I don't really know what to think. The big news is as follows: 1. Apple will be transitioning to the Intel processor over then next 2 years 2. When Longhorn ships, Apple will ship Mac OS X Leopard 3. Apple has been building Mac OS X secretly on Intel since Mac OS X version 10.0! 4. They will have a binary translator named Rosetta for older PowerPC apps 5. iTunes is going to catalog podcasts on their music store with chapters and album art 6. Steve Jobs wore a black shirt, black pants, and black shoes rather than his customary jeans and mock turtle neck I don't know how this is going to effect everyone, but if it means a faster Mac and a better laptop experience, I'm all for it. I really thought it would never happen. I'm amazed.

No comments: