01 January 2008

Leaving Microsoft

Starting today I no longer work at Microsoft. As many of you know, I started working at Microsoft after an illustrious post high school career as landscape architect. ;-) I loved the landscape work, but Microsoft paid better. I was just barely 18 and Microsoft was just realizing that the internet (lower case then) was amazingly NOT going to be replaced by the Windows 95 Microsoft Network. Much has changed since then. While I started my 4 year degree and continued working on it part time, it’s now time for me to go back to school full time and finish. After that, I hope to get an MBA.

I’ve had a remarkable time at Microsoft and in MacBU in particular. I’ve learned so much. I’ve been so thankful to interact with such a high concentration of good individuals. I feel very blessed. My last day was December 31st, 2007.

So that’s the news. I realize that many of you subscribe to this blog because of my connection with Microsoft and especially MacBU. Since I'm no longer working there, feel free to unsubscribe. During the Holiday's I've been mentally processing my MacBU experience and I'll be posting much of what I have learned and observed. If that interests you, hang on, there might still be some content here for you! As you may have noticed I've not really posted anything since September when I returned to work after paternity leave! These last 3 months finishing up Office 2008 were quite the grind, not a death march, but certainly not pretty. I'm glad for it to end. With a bit more time, I think you'll see some more frequent posts here.

If you'd like to contact me informally, as always, feel free to email me at my Gmail account referenced on my Blogger profile page. If you'd like to contact/track me more professionally, feel free to follow my LinkedIn profile.

Happy New Year to all and wish me luck!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

MacBU is going to feel different without you. Best of luck. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, David! I know it can feel both exciting yet sad to leave a company you've considered home for so many years. Hope you have great success in 2008 and beyond with your new pursuits.

Jack said...

Happy new year and best of luck, David.

I hope to see Office 2008 out in stores soon. It's an amazing product.

Anonymous said...

Happy new year, Dave! We're all going to miss having you around.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having taken the time in the past to provide an insight into the workings of the MacBU. It was always interesting.

Happy new year to you and yours - and good luck with your return to school!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm staying on regardless - people are the ones that make the difference, not companies or products :)

Anonymous said...

I'm at a loss for words, I can't believe you are actually gone. I wish you the best of luck in your new adventure and anxiously await future blogs...

Hanya seorang hamba said...

I wish you all the best on your next endeavor, David. Had enjoyed your blog about MacBU. Will check your blog out occasionally to see if you'd be the next FSJ --wink---wink--.
And, thank you for everything you did to make the "Office" run on Mac. I really appreciate it.
Warmest regards from Bali.
Matt.

Mark and Cyndy Weiss said...

Son,

As your Dad, I have had a front row seat for the last 10+ years, of your experience at Microsoft. What I admire most is your innate ability to take all that was yours there to experience and learn from it. Your contributions and mistakes, their contributions and mistakes all worked together for good in your life.

I am proud and humbled to be your Dad.

I know you are on the right path. God bless you.

Bahi said...

The very best of luck, and thanks for your work at the MacBU> The insight you provided was valuable.

I have so many of your posts marked in the RSS reader, and they're not just posts about Microsoft by any means - you have a very open, thoughtful and considered approach to things. I hope to be reading this blog for as long as you write it.

Emmanuel said...

It's funny. I have just come here from the macmojo blog for the first time, and find this post.
Still, I'm impressed to learn that you were first employed by Microsoft at age 18! And, to the MacBU!
Hope to hear more mac-related news. I don't really know what your position at MacBU was, but if it had anything to do with software architecture... well, you'd probably consider building your own mac apps.
Just a thought.
Good luck, and greetings from Mexico!!

Anonymous said...

It's only been a couple of weeks without you and I already have a great deal more respect for what you did beyond the high esteem I held you in. You're sorely missed but I know you'll love this next journey. Don't be a stranger. :)